Thursday, March 12, 2009

What About Your Friends?

OMG, I used to love that TLC song back in the day, LOL!!! "What about your friends, will they stand their ground? Will they let you down? Eh,eh." I was in elementary school, so I didn't understand the full meaning of it, but I used to sing it and dance to it, nonetheless :-). As I get older, the definitions of friendship and who I consider to be my real friends, has become something I've had to deal with spiritually and emotionally. In high school and most of college, I had a full social calendar, my daytime minutes, were always being used up in girl talk, and I was always in "need" of anew outfit (I needed something new to wear when going out with "the girl"). For a while, I'd gotten really down on myself, because It felt like at times, I was friendless. Even my nearest and dearest "best friends were no where to be found when I needed them or wanted to do something. But that lack of friendship, especially in what I considered to be my times of need, helped me to realize Jesus is my true friend. He is always available to talk (and listen), hangs out with me all the time, and even tells me when those shorts or too short, pants are too tight, or that dress is just too cute, when WE go shopping, lol. He simply keeps it REAL!

As I get closer to God, it seems that "the girls" don't call me to go out much, or my "friends" call only when they need something, but it surely doesn't hurt me like it used to. I realize that our interest are no longer the same, and everybody is not meant to be in my life forever. T.D. Jakes writes in his book, Before You Do: Making Great Decisions That You Won't Regret, "Some people are seasonal blessings loaned to you to perform a purpose and when the season is up and the purpose is completed they will leave. This is okay." Truth be told, sometimes God has to take people out of your life (or decrease their presence in it) so that He can bring forth new people. I've made some new friends who (though we may not talk everyday), I love dearly, are making a conscious effort to live for God, enjoy doing fun things besides going to the club, of whom have common interest, and are just as fabulous as God considers me to be! :-)

Sometimes, we as women, take our friendships very deeply, and when they come to an end or things change, it has a great impact on us. Nonetheless, God is our greatest friend, and he will never leave us lonely, spiritually or here on Earth. So the next time, sister girl stops answering your calls or acting funny, don't get upset or give her attitude, just take it in stride, knowing that God has a purpose for it all!

La Vie, L'Amour, Etre Heureux

No comments:

Post a Comment